kall me krazy!

We made it to Gettysburg in time for a short bit of history and the obligatory trip to a tourist trap for 2 muskets and a stack of postcards. I purchased 3 books of postcard stamps before we left so I am damn well going to use every last one. I probably won't care who you are by the end of this trip so don't be surprised if you get a random "Greetings From --fill in place here--!" and my signature. Lane sent one to Grandpa that just said "We got a gun!" (Musket for my parent friends who are concerned about a future playdate with the Spetrino Boys)

This brings us to our lodging for the next two nights. We are staying at the KOA in Gettysburg in a Kamping Kottage. I know my friends reading this know that Kathy is no Kamper. Luckily, these cute little abodes have private bathrooms, therefore I am ok with kamping.

We did build a kampfire, albeit with wood we purchased from Food Giant. We made s'mores and I, being the less experienced kamper, tried to make a version of kamping "fondue." I roasted a strawberry and placed it on a Hershey bar to melt it and make it gooey. Word of wisdom, strawberries do not roast well. I ended up just microwaving the chocolate (did I mention Kamping Kottages also have microwaves and a little fridge?!) and dipping my non roasted strawberry in it, avoiding the whole kampfire altogether.

I live in the south and in mid-July, if you have air conditioning, it is on. So the four of us get in our beds after the kampfire is safely out, with the hum of the little air conditioning unit (yet another Kamping Kottage amenity!) gently lulling us to sleep after a day of battle. But not before Pennsylvania's largest mosquito decides to buzz us for a little nightcap. I bang my hand against the kottage wall in an effort to kill the monstrous insect, which prompts Nick to sit up in bed and shout "Someone is knocking on our kottage door!" To which I reply "No, it is just the crazy big mosquito" which explains Nick's confusion in saying "The mosquito is knocking on the door?"

Yes, my son Nick, this mosquito is so large, he has to knock first. The next whack on the kottage wall did indeed kill the polite mosquito who knocks first. Dave and I were giggling so hard, we needed to take a picture of the korpse. None of us got a good nights sleep because we were literally freezing in the Kamping Kottage with the air conditioning on. We probably kept the entire KOA awake because we were the only idiots with one pumping in the hills of Gettysburg where the nighttime high was 60 degrees and kool.