my other two...children

Chances are if you are a parent, you are familiar with a "lovey." My definition would be:

luv-eee: N. A stuffed animal, favorite toy, used blanket, string etc. that MUST be within 5 feet of son/daughter at all times. A source of comfort, normally washed once every few weeks, smart parents have mulitiples.

"The lovey is strapped in the seat belt next to my son's booster seat in my car."
___________________________________________________________________

One of my amazing aunts gave little Baby Nicholas a lovey when he was maybe 9 months old. It is a blue lamb head with a bow tie attached to a soft blanket. As a first time parent, we took pictures of the lamb head /blanket with the baby every time he was napping, in the swing, eating cheerios in his high chair or in his "entertainer." Baby Einstein had nothing on the lamb head/blanket.

One can only hope that Baby Nicholas would someday love his lamb head/blanket because in almost every baby picture, his lovey is *rightthere.*

As the saying goes....be careful what you wish for.
___________________________________________________________________
Lamb head/blanket was christened "Lala" sometime around beginning to make sounds and possibly a long afternoon with the Teletubbies. Lala is a girl. We quickly realized after my father took Baby Nicholas and Lala to Target and *gasp* left her in the shopping cart that we needed some backups. (To add to this little vignette, my mother frantically called Target and asked if they found any "lalas" and after silence on the other end of the phone because the Target team member thought an insane person was playing a practical joke, she clarified that a "lala" was a lamb head attached to a blanket. The Target team member hung up on her.)

Wouldn't you know the original Lala came from a boutique. My resourceful aunt found ONE backup, we were in business. I could easily rotate Lalas and not be so anxiety ridden about traveling anywhere because she became (at the time) my second child. I would pack the diaper bag, the baby....and Lala.

The most attractive detail about Lala, the lamb head/blanket, was the little bow tie. It was soft satin and when Nick became a thumbsucker, he would rub the bow tie. In most Lalas (we now have four, my son is eight) the bow tie is the first to go. The third Lala was introduced when Nick was probably four...and by this time, he had a 2 year old brother. New Lalas are crisp white and clean light blue in color with a sparkling bow tie. We were at my parents house, maybe had a few cocktails, and thought it would be funny to observe the introduction of the new Lala. That didn't go over so well....Nick was smarter than we thought and I guess it was pretty obvious that something was remiss with this "imposter" lamb head/blanket.

We sobered up quickly.
____________________________________________________________________

While I swore I would never, ever introduce a lovey to Lane, the lovey found him. I will spare you the details because it is a long story as well. I will, however, introduce you to "Girl." Girl is a black and white dog that came from one of those "stuff an animal" places. In true Spetrino fashion, "Girl" is a boy dog.

From left to right: Boy dog named Girl, Lamb head/blanket named Lala