r.i.p. jerry the snail

For Nick's eighth birthday in March, the only thing he really, really wanted was this "EcoAquarium." It contains 2 frogs, a snail and a bamboo shoot. The new aquarium owner does nothing for maintenance as the snail acts as a janitor. This is my kind of pet ownership--low to no action is required. I just need to make sure that the EcoAquarium does not sit in the full sun in the kitchen or else the water would boil & we would end up with frog legs and escargot for a snack.

This gift proved to be educational, environmentally friendly (now that I am green and all, see Earth Day Post for reference) and cost effective since we are still full on in the Church Street Recession. Nick named the frogs Drake and Timmy. At the urging of his parents, he let his brother name the snail, to which Lane decides from now on will be known as Josh. No, Larry. No, wait, for sure Jerry.

What could go wrong? So the title may give this one away. We did not anticipate on losing the janitor Jerry within 2 weeks of EcoAquarium ownership.

He went quick and did not suffer. I saw a few little bubbles and then he kind of dropped like a lead balloon to the bottom.

This brings me to my quandry. I need a miniature snail to replace Jerry, where do I find one? He needs to look exactly like Jerry. Nick has already moved on to bigger and better things (love) and I cannot throw "death" into the mix!

Send me your suggestions soon. The kids are starting to catch on that dead Jerry is not doing his "job" as the little EcoAquarium is getting cloudy!